10 Meter Radios are not CB Radios.
There are some big differences between 10 Meter Radios (10 Meter) and CB Radios (11 Meter).
- 10 Meter Radios are not designed to communicate with CB Radios.
- Unlike a CB Radio, you need to have a license to operate a 10 Meter Radio. The reason for this is because the 10 Meter Radios are allowed to have more wattage/power output than CB Radios. According to FCC regulations, CB radios are allowed a max output of 4 watts. Since the 10 Meter Band is intended for long range communication, more wattage is needed. The potentially very high power output (radio energy) of 10 Meter Radios can actually damage soft tissue and organs (similar to a microwave) so proper use is important! The FCC wants to make sure that 10 Meter Radio operators understand the importance of operating the equipment properly and following the rules. Her is a link to the FCC website that will provide you additional information: FCC website article
- Another important aspect of operating a 10 Meter Radio is that they don't want disruption of other important communications. With their high power output, 10 Meter Radios can overpower CB transmissions and other important local communications.
- Both 10 Meter and 11 Meter (CB) operate on AM but within different frequencies. The 10 Meter Band consists of frequencies stretching from 28.000 to 29.700 MHz and the 11 Meter Band (CB) is 26.965 to 27.405 MHz. Since they are on different frequencies, 10 meters do not talk with 11 meter radios unless they are modified, which is illegal. This means that you can still use a standard CB antenna- just be sure to get an antenna that has a power rating that will handle the power output of your 10 meter radio.
- Out of the box, you will not get Channel 19 with a 10 Meter Radio.
- CB Radios operate on the 11 Meter Band around 27 MHz with 40 channels. Unlike the 10 Meter Band, access to these frequencies are unrestricted by the FCC, hence the name "Citizen's Band". Just keep in mind that, even for CB Radios, the FCC requires users to follow certain codes of conduct and equipment restrictions.
- Many of them have a band selector knob. There is a 40 channel bank per band.
- Lastly, please note our return policies regarding 10 Meter Radios!